A Bender Byte Moment
By Ron Bender © 2010
Are you (or someone you know) struggling with a compulsion or addiction? Do you have a problem with alcohol, drugs, food, sex, or another behavior? To assess if a behavior pattern qualifies as an addiction I use the acronym: “AN ADDICT.” Keep track of your “yes” answers, circling any of the eight symptoms that have one or more yes answers.
- A lone? Do you sometimes use the substance or activity alone?
- N on-premeditated use? Do you sometimes do this without planning or intending to? Do family, friends, or conscience tell you that you’re doing this too often?
- A mnesia? Have you ever lost recollection of a period of time during which you used this substance or activity? Do hours seem like minutes when you do this? When doing this do you soometmes forget appointments or commitments?
- D epend on the “high?” Do you anticipate your next opportunity to do this? Do you feel bad if you go an extended period of time without doing this? Have you tried unsuccessfully to cut back?
- D istracted? Are you distracted with thoughts of doing this? Has your performance at work or school gone down since doing this?
- I ncreased tolerance? Are you able to do more of this than most people? Do you keep using this substance or activity more and more to get the “high” you want?
- C onceal supply? Do you hide this behavior or your access to it? Do you lie about what you’re doing?
- T ranquilizer? Do you do this to feel better or to numb pain? Do you do this to forget about your problems?
Scoring: Three or more “yes” answers indicate that you may have a problem with addictive or compulsive behavior. For diagnoses and treatment consult in person with a doctor or psychotherapist.
It’s people like you who support "Bytes of Truth", which includes articles like this. Perhaps you would like to invest in the transformation of men in the community, Future leaders, productive workers, and care-givers? Your tax deductible donation to Transition To Community will support this website, help the transition of broken lives back into the community, and the spreading of truth one byte at a time. When giving just say Bender Bytes sent you.
RonRonald Bender- President/CEO Bender Consulting.~http://www.benderbytes.net/bender_consult